Monday, April 6, 2009

The last few days were a blurr!

So I am finally feeling normal and I wanted to write a little about my first surgery experience.  I have been surely blessed to never before had stitches, broken bones, surgery on anything, and for the most part been completely healthy.  I went in early Friday morning for my ACL surgery.  I must say I was really nervous, but having Ryan with me helped to calm my nerves.  The nurse took me back and began her routine.  First I had to pee in a cup.........I hadn't had anything to drink or eat since 12 the night before so I was kind of worried!  They needed to make sure I wasn't prego.  So the test came out negative and then she proceeded to prepare me for surgery.  She took my blood pressure and put in an IV.  Basically she hooked me up to a number of machines which  drove me crazy!  Before numbing my whole left leg they gave me some sedative meds that seriously made me feel like there was a treadmill on the ceiling.  After the numbing started to spread though out my left knee both the nurse and anesthesiologist proceeded to prep the other five or six patients who too were having ACL surgery.  So I am laying on this bed hooked up to all of these monitors for what seemed like a lifetime!  After 45 minutes of waiting and ease dropping on the patients around me, the Anesthesiologist checks to see if I want to be asleep for the procedure.  I explain that I would like to be awake for the beginning and then put to sleep. They proceeded to transport me to another room where the surgery would be performed by Dr. Jennifer Miller.  They wash my leg, which is completely numb, so it feels incredible weird having someone basically massage iodine all over it.  They start the procedure and I am able to watch on the screen above me.  It was pretty crazy to feel the pressure and movement but no pain!  She explained everything to me, but had some bad news.  My medial meniscus looked okay, but my lateral meniscus was torn badly and they had to remove it.  At that point the doctor kept talking me through everything, but I kept thinking about not being able to run long distances and being limited on playing impact sports.  I started to hear what sounded like a lawn mower and a weed wacker.  The doctor said they were preparing my cadaver ligament.  They showed me the ligament, which looked more like a piece of beef jerky.  At that point in the surgery I watched what I wanted to and I asked to be put to sleep.  The next thing I remember is waking up still hooked to all of the monitors and feeling a little pain.  The nurse looks at me and asks if I am in pain.  She gives me more pain meds and leaves to get my mom.  (Ryan had to go back to work)  The nurse comes back in with my mom and asked if I was still in pain.  At that point I proceeded to ask if I could get all of the monitors off of me!  They were making me so claustrophobic!  They finally take off all of the monitors and wheel me out to the car.  Now the next few days after surgery were such a blur.  I just know my best friend Denae and Jake stopped by,  Heide and Trent, and  my sister Cindy with her two kids.  I really feel like I slept for two days straight!  Today I am feeling much better and I can put a little more pressure on my leg with out unbearable pain.  I am no longer taking the hard core pain killers and I  am feeling less drowsy.  I head in to rehab tomorrow and I am feeling a little nervous about what they will have me do.  At this point I am afraid to bend it.  It is getting better and less painful everyday.  A special thanks to Ryan and my mom for taking care of me.  Ryan was a trooper because for some reason the pain pills made me kind of angry and irritable.  So thanks for putting up with me!  Thanks for the prayers and support! 

7 comments:

Erin said...

When did you injure your ACL?? I'm so sorry. I'm sure physical therapy and recovery will be great for you because you've always been such a stud. I remember visiting Allison after her surgery and I don't know if she remembers. I'm glad the hardest part is over for you. Good luck with all the rest!

Angelica's Family Adventures said...

Wow, very interesting to see what all of it looks like. The numb leg is kindof like having an epidural during labor, except you can't move the whole bottom half of your body. I'm glad to hear you have been able to get off the major pain meds. I'm sure your mom & Ryan understand. I guess we'll still see you guys in two weeks for Ryan's marathon if he's still doing it?

Justin & Allison Harmon said...

Glad everything went well! I completely understand the blur part...I just remember being really sick from the anesthesia (I kept passing out every time I sat up for about two days). You'll do great with rehab...you just have to remember to be patient. You'll be back to normal in no time!

ps..in response to Erin's comment...I do remember my visitors...it was great to have friends to keep the spirit's up!

J & J said...

Interesting. I am glad that is over with. Now on with the healing. You should try taking some probiotics after all of those meds. Generally they're also good for those who have trouble with digestion. xoxo

Steve O'Connor & Shay Yost said...

Thinking about ya, hope healing goes well!

Kemp Family said...

So glad that you're recovering nicely. It's so hard to have to "take it easy", when all you want to do is be "normal". I hate pain meds but they do help during physical therapy. I just had my knee drained, 45 cc's. This is becoming a 6 week cycle. They used a different injection this time instead of cortisone and hopefully it will give me some relief for a longer period. I can't wait to be able to get back on the floor to play with grandkids; coloring, puzzles, games and wrestling. (yes, the girls love to wrestle with grandma). Good luck with physical therapy. Don't get discouraged, just keep plugging along. You be as good as new in no time. Thank heaven for good husbands, friends and family. Tell Ryan he's a good sport. I know he loves you very much. Love you guys...Aunt Val

Quinn, Alexis, Jayden, and Owen Brown said...

dang i wish i could be there to help you out and wish you well! you were there for me when i had my back surgery. thanks again for that. i love you and can't wait to see you in july!
p.s. i can't believe you watched all that!!! gross!!! oh, did i tell you i'm applying to the dental hygiene program?!!